You should always see a doctor after a car accident because some injuries will take hours, days, or even weeks before they begin to show symptoms. You will want a documented record that you were checked out by a physician so you can establish a relationship with some regarding injuries related to your accident. This will be important when filing a personal injury claim after your car crash. Soft tissue injuries, such as neck injuries can be severe and require a medical professional to treat you over a period of time following your accident.
Our law firm works with those who have been injured in car accidents and were able to seek medical attention for their injuries. We provide a free consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer to help you make the best choices moving forward with your car accident case.
Besides the obvious need to prioritize your health and safety, there are two main reasons why it’s important that you get proper medical care and follow through with your treatment after a car accident:
- Your doctor is in the best position to determine how seriously you are injured, and to prescribe the best treatment for you—to help you recover more quickly, and to make you as comfortable as possible while you are recovering.
- Records of your doctor appointments are the best way to document your injuries, as well as the course and duration of your treatment. This verification is essential if you later make a car accident injury claim. Medical treatment and medical bills are a large component of damages in a personal injury case.
- If your doctor diagnoses an injury and begins a course of treatment, continue the course of treatment until your doctor releases you from it. That includes following up with referrals to specialists, attending any diagnostic examinations, filling any prescriptions, and performing any recommended at-home rehabilitation.
Why You Should Keep Medical Bills and Records Related to Your Car Accident
If you’re being treated for injuries stemming from a car accident, ask your doctor or other health care provider for copies of your medical records and bills. Read them over carefully, paying attention to the description of your car accident, your medical history, and anything else:
- Did the doctor get it right in describing the accident, or did they misunderstand the facts?
- Is any summary of the accident accurate; for example, does it say that your car was struck on the passenger’s side, when actually the impact was on the driver’s side, as it says in the police report?
- Do your medical records accurately state your symptoms?
- Does your doctor have your medical history right, especially when it comes to pre-existing conditions? If you make an injury claim, the insurance company will look for anything (such as a pre-existing condition) they can point to as the “real” cause of your current symptoms. So, make sure your medical history is accurate.
Any discrepancies, inconsistencies, or incomplete information need to be identified and corrected, since insurance adjusters and defense lawyers who are on the other driver’s side will use these perceived problems to try to prove that the accident didn’t happen the way you say it did, or to challenge the extent (or the cause) of your injuries.
Spanish Speaking Car Accident Lawyer in Houston, Texas
Spanish-speaking individuals can have a more difficult time seeking justice in their personal injury cases due to language barriers. This causes them to not take action against those who have left them with financial devastation and physical trauma. At the Law Office of Beverly R. Caruthers, our team refuses to let a language barrier affect your right to justice and compensation. If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident and is in need of Spanish-speaking legal advice, our team is here for you.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Houston, Texas
If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident and suffered an injury, experienced loss of income, or are unable to work due to a car accident, you can benefit from the services of a Houston car accident expert in your personal injury case. Whether you missed work due to an injury or due to not having access to a vehicle, Attorney Beverly R. Caruthers can help you!