When you are involved in a car accident in Houston, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of what the best next step is. We live in a massive city with hundreds of different attorneys and law firms all around you, making claims that they are the best car accident attorneys in the area. How do you know which attorney is best for you? Or if you even need an attorney for your particular car accident case? This article will dive into both of those questions, exploring when an attorney is needed and how to select one for your case.
When to seek advice from an auto accident attorney when:
- Liability is not clear or is shared between or among the parties.
- You have no idea how to evaluate what your car accident claim is worth.
- The adjuster has asked you to provide medical records from prior to the accident.
- The adjuster has made you an offer and you think your claim is worth a great deal more.
- The adjuster is offering a structured settlement rather than a lump sum payment.
- You are not confident in your ability to negotiate a settlement on your own behalf.
- You have a claim of lost wages that is difficult to prove—for example, you are a consultant, a business owner, a salesperson, etc.
- You don’t know how to get a pain and suffering settlement without a lawyer.
When to consult an auto accident attorney
- There are extenuating circumstances that make your claim more valuable and you don’t know how to prove your loss (for example, you’re a caregiver and can no longer take care of your husband or sick mother).
- The insurance company has denied your claim, you believe they are incorrect in their denial, and they will not reconsider.
- The insurance company’s settlement offer is too low.
- You are seriously injured with significant medical bills with or without residual disability.
- You are moderately injured with residual disability and will incur future medical bills.
- The injured party is a minor with more than slight injuries.
- Liability is being disputed and you believe you are not responsible or are only partially responsible for the accident.
- It’s been almost a year since your accident, you’re not close to settling your claim, and you don’t know what the statute of limitations is in your state.
- The circumstances surrounding the accident are complex and may require expert investigation.
- The other party to the accident has served you with a lawsuit.
- For claims with issues of fault, injuries, statutes of limitation, or other complicating factors, it is advisable to at least consult with a car accident attorney. Car insurance companies have lawyers to review those types of issues and advise the company on ways to avoid paying you what you deserve.
An experienced injury attorney can be extremely helpful in navigating the often chaotic and confusing world of insurance claims and injury settlements after a car accident. Here’s what you need to know:
- Most injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning your lawyer only gets paid if there is a successful resolution to your claim.
- An attorney brings to the table in-depth knowledge of the law, the ability to put your best case together, and comfort in the negotiation trenches when it’s time to fight for your best result.
- It can be a risk to handle a car accident claim on your own, unless your injuries are very minor and the other side is conceding fault.
A Car Accident Attorney Knows the Law
Hiring a personal injury attorney to represent you after a car accident means you will have a professional working for you—one who is extremely knowledgeable about the relevant laws and procedural rules that may affect your case.
An attorney can advise you of the shared fault rules in your state and how they might affect your case if your own negligence might have played a part in causing the accident. (Get the basics on fault for a car accident.)
An attorney will also be familiar with time limits (called statutes of limitations) that can bar you from filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. For instance, in many states you must file your lawsuit within two years of your car accident, or you’ll lose the right to take the matter to court. An attorney will also be able to inform you about any special exceptions to the statute of limitations—for minors, for example.
Your attorney can file a lawsuit on your behalf and will know how best to mitigate any possible defenses raised by the other side. In addition, once your case gets under way, your lawyer will play an invaluable role in preparing your case for trial—and even going to trial if your case doesn’t settle.
Even though a lawsuit is rarely necessary, the threat of legal action offers strong leverage when negotiating a fair settlement.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, having an attorney who is knowledgeable about the law evens the playing field, especially when you are going up against the experience and vast resources of a large insurance company.
A Lawyer Does the Legwork In Your Car Accident Claim
A lot of work goes into negotiating an insurance settlement, not to mention trying a personal injury lawsuit. After you’ve been in a car accident, taking on this time-consuming work might be the last thing you want to do, assuming you’re able. Handing things over to an experienced lawyer can take a lot of worry away.
Whereas this may be your first time dealing with the ins and outs of an accident claim, injury attorneys have dealt with all manner of claims and have faced the gamut of insurance company tactics. They have experience obtaining the necessary evidence to support your claim, including gathering police reports, witness statements, medical records and bills, and employment and lost wage information.
Your attorney will also be able to organize the evidence and prepare a settlement demand letter for the insurance company. If you are unable to settle your accident case, your attorney can take care of filing the necessary paperwork to start a court case and can deal with the defense attorneys on your behalf. Having a seasoned professional navigate the day to day work of your case eases the burden on you so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
A Car Accident Attorney Advocates for Your Best Result
Perhaps the most important role a car accident attorney plays is that of advocate. This means acting on your behalf and with your best interests in mind at every stage of the claim process. Whether it’s dealing with a car insurance company or presenting your case to a judge or jury, your attorney will be your champion, making sure your side of the story is heard and that you are compensated for all of your losses.
When you’re ready to find the right car accident attorney for you and your case, you can use the chat and information submission tools right on this page to connect with a legal professional near you. You can also learn more about hiring the right injury lawyer.
Spanish Speaking Car Collision Lawyer Near Me
Many times Spanish-speaking individuals have a more difficult time getting justice in their car accident cases, causing them to not take action against those who have left them with financial devastation and physical trauma. At the Law Office of Beverly R. Caruthers, our team refuses to let the language you speak impact your pursuit of justice and compensation. If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident and is in need of Spanish-speaking legal counsel, our law firm is here for you.
We make it simpler than ever before for victims injured in car accidents to navigate the legal system in order to get the results they need to continue on in their lives. Schedule your no-obligation car accident consultation with Attorney Caruthers today. Our team will work with you every step of the way to ensure your needs are being met and that you are getting the treatment you deserve in your car accident case. Don’t hesitate, the sooner you call the more we can do to get you the most compensation for your injuries.
How To Speak To Insurance Adjusters
A common mistake many injured individuals is believing insurance adjusters are trying to help them recover the losses they have suffered. However, insurance companies are not interested in helping you seek justice. These companies are predatory and only interested in protecting their bottom line. They actively seek to discredit your account of event and personal injury claim. They will probe you for irrelevant information including your full medical history, lifestyle choices, and more. This is all done in order to find ways to discredit your character, blame your injuries on previous experiences, and more. Do not be victimized by insurance adjusters after your injury. Instead, team up with an experienced car accident claims attorney. Attorney Beverly R. Caruthers can help you get on track with your case.
Car Collision Attorney Near Houston
If you or someone you love has suffered an injury, experienced loss of income, or are unable to work due to a car accident, you can benefit from the services of a Houston car accident expert in your personal injury case. Whether you missed work due to an injury or due to not having access to a vehicle, Attorney Beverly R. Caruthers can help you!
Our team works hard to bring the most efficient and practical solutions to your car accident case. Beverly R. Caruthers proudly serves and defends the Greater Houston area including but not limited to Baytown, Conroe, Crosby, Humble, Huntsville, Lake Jackson, Missouri City, Pasadena, Spring, Tomball.